Thursday 13 March 2014

Stag Rocks

Went out with the aim of climbing the 3* classic Afterthough Arete (III) on Stag Rocks in Glen Avon the other day. Due to the still extensive snow cover I opted to ski tour over Cairngorm and ski down into Corie Raiberit. The snow was hard and icey but its coverage was almost total. No rock dodging, no grass patch veering, no intricate line required. Just point and go! Made even better by the absolutely cloudless skies..


After leaving the skis at the top of Stag Rocks I descended Diagonal Gully and at the base looked up at the obvious arete feature on the west side of the gully and guessed that was the way. After noticing the lack of worn rock and quite tough start I realized in my enthusiasm I had failed to read the guide properly (which was conveniently in the car!) and I was infact, on the wrong ridge.. I had by accident climbed up Serrated Rib (III). Ops!


The Northern Cories catching the last of the Sun

Ah well, not quite a 'Scottish classic' but good in the sunshine. The sunset from the top of spot height 1141m made up for the minor route deviation though!
    
Sunset from SH 1141m just before the descent in Coire Cas

No comments:

Post a Comment